CEP Accepts Black Studies Degree; Virtually All Student Demands Met

The Committee on Educational Policy met yesterday morning and unanimously approved virtually all the academic innovations which Harvard's black students have been demanding.

The CEP approved three points included in the as-yet unpublished Rosovsky report on Afro-American Studies:

* the organization of a standing committee on Afro-American studies to oversee undergraduate and graduate degree programs;

* the organization of a special committee to coordinate African studies;

* the setting up of a center for black students similar to Hillel House.

Dean Ford also took a step toward organizing a committee to search for Faculty members in Afro-American studies. Ernest J. Wilson III '70, chairman of the Ad Hoc Committee of Black Students, said that Ford asked him after the CEP meeting to submit the names of three black students to serve on such a search committee with three as yet unnamed Faculty members.

Faculty Meeting

The entire Rosovsky report will be presented to the Faculty at its regular meeting February 11. The creation of the black cultural center, Ford explained, is not necessarily subject to Faculty approval.

Ford said that this is the last time any portion of the Rosovsky report will be discussed by the CEP, because the summary voted on today included all the academic issues included in the report.

Demands

The Ad Hoc Committee of Black Students at Harvard has been circulating a list of demands in a leaflet dated January 11. Wilson explained yesterday that "a growing impatience on the part of black students for a commitment to a Black Studies program, particularly because we've been negotiating through established channels for six months," led Wilson to ask Dean Ford to call a special meeting of the CEP.

The Rosovsky report, and the CEP vote, do not reject any of the demands of the black students as expressed in their leaflet, Wilson said. But this does not mean that the Rosovsky report is an exact replica of the black demands. Some points are still being worked out, Wilson said, but he declined to say what they were.

Report Unfinished

Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economics and chairman of the committee, said yesterday that although the report is not completely finished yet, members of the Ad Hoc Committee know the substance of it. Two members of the Ad Hoc Committee are also members of the Rosovsky committee, and many of the meetings were conducted with "large Ad Hoc Committee representation."

The final version of the Rosovsky report will be officially presented to Ford on Monday. The report will be made public by Dean Ford at a press conference next Tuesday afternoon.