CONSCRIPTION CASE HISTORIES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I have corresponded with Senator Hatfield several times in the last few weeks about the Volunteer Army Bill that he intends to introduce in the current session of Congress. The reasons why I support this bill are myriad. I am particularly anxious to eliminate the need for young men to choose careers that fit the bureaucratic criteria of being in the "national interest" in order to obtain a deferment; for when our government gains this much control over our lives, then we are losing the battle for freedom at home as well as abroad.

As a result of my correspondence, and provided this bill reaches the appropriate Senate and House Committees, Raymond Underwood, legal counsel to Senator Hatfield, will request my appearance as a witness.

Hence, I wish to accumulate as many case histories as possible. If you feel that your personal freedom has been diminished by the threat of conscription, so much so that you have altered career plans or otherwise done things you wouldn't ordinarily do, please send me a concise summary c/o the Chemistry Dept., University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403. Of course, any other comment on details of the Volunteer Army Bill will be appreciated. Bruce J. Chasan