Firm Called 'Harvard' Is Dragged to Court

The New York Supreme Court agreed Dec. 30 to issue an injunction filed by the Harvard Corporation against a Manhattan employment firm for allegedly misusing the name "Harvard."

The firm, the Harvard Executive Research Center, Inc., will appeal the decision to a higher court.

Under a statute of New York's General Business Law, it is unlawful to use the name, device, symbol, or other designation of a non-profit, charitable or educational institution for business purposes.

Tried to Persuade

Harvard's legal representative tried to persuade Arthur M. Shain '40, the firm's president, to change the corporation's name. After Shain declined several times, the Corporation filed for an injunction.

University policy does not allow the unauthorized use of Harvard's name in contexts that would falsely imply a connection to the University.

Quick Action

A lawyer for the University said that the Corporation had to act quickly to prevent the misuse of its name, for once a precedent developed, the Corporation would be unable to take action.

"This is a really clear case of the mis-leading, unauthorized use of Harvard's name," the lawyer added.