Strikers Fail To Close S.F. State

By The ASSOCIATED Press

SAN FRANCISCO--A group of about 1000 minority students, striking teachers, and supporters failed Monday to disrupt the reopening of San Francisco State College. Several hours later however the San Francisco Labor Council sanctioned the teacher strike.

The action of the council's executive board will probably mean more trouble for the campus, which has suffered from rioting and vandalism since Nov. 6, when the Black Students' Union called a strike.

When the college reopened Monday morning after a long Christmas holiday, there were a few minor scuffles and fist fights. Police arrested two pickets who went onto the campus and attempted to intimidate students with blowhorns. Most of the 18,000 students and regular faculty went through the noisy picket line.

'Pigs'

Outside the main entrance, an estimated 1000 persons marched with signs. They shouted "pigs," and "fascists" at the watching police and "scabs" at the students passing through.

Calling the strike of the teachers a "vicious power grab," acting president of the college S. I. Hayakawa said, "I don't know how I am going to stop them from closing the school, but I am going to try...I am not going to accept it closed by anybody."