Quincy Triumphs In Season Debut

Flip Morgan, a husky offensive center, caught two touchdown passes to help Quincy's touch football team rout Eliot, holder of the Straus Cup, 45-13, yesterday afternoon in the first athletic contest of the intramural year.

In the second game of the doubleheader. Lowell edged Dunster, 18-12. Quincy's Soccer team, one of the preseason favorites, was upended, 3-0, by Eliot, and Lowell downed Dunster, 4-1.

Fernando Gonzalez, coach of the Quincy touch football team, expressed doubt on Monday that his offense could match last year's since quarterback Ken Sandler had graduated. But in yesterday's game. Quincy made it clear that Gonzalez worries are unjustified.

Tommy Harris, Jim Fabiani, and Gonzalez himself were, in addition to Morgan, responsible for the potent offense. Like coach John Yovicsin, Gonzalez has not yet determined who will be his starting quarterback. Harris is making a strong bid and threw for three of yesterday's touchdowns, one a bomb to junior Pete Wright.

Quincy All the Way

The defense was impressive, too. Rich Ruiz kept constant pressure on Eliot's quarterbacks, and Quincy's first two touchdowns came on runbacks of interceptions by Harris and Dan Morgan, younger brother of Plin.

Quincy is the defending touch football champion and won its tenth regular season game in a row yesterday as Floyd Wilson, head of the intramural program, wached from the sideline. Gonzalez was all smiles. "Que equipo! Que partido! Estoy muy contento." he said after the game, which loosely translated means "whoopie!"

Lowell's soccer captain, Ted Voorhees, was another of yesterday's stars. He scored his team's first two goals in a rough game on Webster field. Hal Clark and Eric Pope added goals later as Lowell turned a close game into a runaway.

Eliot tallied twice on penalty kicks to win over Quincy.

In another touch football doubleheader today. Dudley plays Leverett, and Kirkland battles Winthrop. The same teams meet in soccer games.