Varsity Soccer Today Crimson Booters Favored In Game With Connecticut

By Robert W. Gerlach

The varsity soccer team, though still hampered by injuries, is nevertheless favored to win today's 3 p. m. game with Connecticut on the Business School field. It will be the third time that the injury-ridden team will have to rely on individual skills to triumph.

"We're good players." Harvard coach Bruce Munro said, "but we're strangers out there on the field. Once we learn each other's moves the team will be all right, but right now we're depending on individual talent."

Six Regulars Ailing

Six regular starters failed to appear at yesterday's light practice, and three of the absent players are definitely out of the lineup.

Chris Wilmot, sophomore center fullback, was injuried in the Tufts game last week when he intercepted a misguided Jumbo kick. A calcium deposit has developed on Wilmot's ankle and he will be out of action at least until next week's Columbia game.

Also missing from the line-up is goalie Rich Locksley, who started last year but has yet to play this season. Locksley will undergo medical tests tomorrow at the University Health Services to determine the cause of his low blood pressure condition. Munro does not expect him to return before the Columbia game.

Still out of uniform is starting right wing Russ Bell. The sophomore lineman, sidelined earlier by tonsilitis, played in the Williams game long enough to pull a groin muscle. Solomon Gomez, who has started at both halfback and wing, will fill the vacancy at outside right.

Starting fullback Bob Gray, right halfback Rich Hardy, and reserve goalie Jim Sawhill all missed practice yesterday because of heavy colds. Coach Munro will be pressed hard if he has to fill three more vacancies in the line-up.

Besides ailments, Harvard's development as a team has been plagued with too many games. Playing two matches a week. Munro loses four practices in six days. "Since we can only have light workouts the day before a game. Monday was our last practice for today and Friday's game with B. U." Munro explained.

Although Connecticut offers the toughest opposition that the Crimson has faced this season, even a weakend Harvard team must still be rated the favorite. One reason for such a prediction is the potent front line of the Crimson. Left wing Charlie Thomas has scored four times in two games, while Gomez and Pete Bogovich both have tallied twice.

Last year the Crimson had to come from an early two goal deflicit to salvage a tie in overtime with the Huskies.