Coop to Close Early For Moratorium Day

By Alan S. Geismer

The management of the Harvard Co-operative Society announced yesterday that the Coop will observe the October 15 Moratorium by closing its stores at 1 p.m. and paying its employees for a full day of work.

"The decision to shut down for only part of the day was based on the on going nature of the Moratorium." acting general manager Al Zavelle said last night. "If we closed for a whole day in October, but deiced we could not afford to close for two days in November and three in December, we would be doing the peace movement a disservice by not maintaining a consistent level of commitment."

Zavelle said the Coop had polled its employees as to their attitudes about the Moratorium. "Almost all those of college age said they wanted to participate, but the high school and older help were afraid they would lose their pay," he said.

By staying open half a day, Zavelle explained, everyone will get paid, except those who wish to take off the whole day and treat it as a day off."

"We feel that we are going a lot farther than Harvard or M. I. T. with respect toour employees, since they only made observance of the Moratorium optional," Zavelle said.

With the Coop closing at 1 p. m. employees would still be able to participate in the anti-war activities in the Square, which are scheduled to begin at 1:15 p. m., Zavelle said. "Anyone also wishing to attend a church service could catch the one at 7:30 p. m.," he said.

Milton D. Brown 40, Lincoln Filene Professor of Retailing, and Coop President, said yesterday that by closing the store at 1 p. m., the Coop would lose about $5000 in revenue.

About 30 businesses in Cambridge and another 15 in the Boston area have said that they will close for all or part of the day. Cahaly's, Corcoran's, Paperback Booksmith, and True are among the stores that will close all day. The Boston Symphony Orchestra will have no rehearsal, and the Proposition will give a free performance.