Student Investigation of Pentagon Finds That Information Is Hidden

Eleven students, four of them from Harvard, have prepared a report saying that the military and related industries are no longer under effective public control.

"The security classification system is largely used not to prevent information from being revealed to potential enemies, but to ensure control by the Executive Branch over national security policy," the report said.

Kerry Gruson '69, Nancy K. Lipton '69, Mary A. McCarthy 70, and Samuel L. Baker '69 from Harvard were four of the 11 working under the auspices of the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington this summer. They studied the workings of the military lobby and the decision-making process in the Pentagon.

Idol Worship

"We're trying to do to the Pentagon what Nader is doing to the automobile industry." Miss Lipton said yesterday. She said she felt that ABM might have been stopped had it been investigated five years ago.

The students said that concerned citizens can influence the Pentagon's future decisions by studying the military industrial complex and publishing their findings.

The students gathered their information from interviews, professional journals, and congressional hearings of the past ten years. "The Pentagon was quite receptive to interviews," Miss Lipton said.

Radical Reading List

The report is called "The National Security Summer Research Project." A permanent research project is being established in Washington. The students also compiled a bibliography for radical research which will be soon available in the Harvard libraries.