Varsity Soccer Team Tames Lions Increases Winning Streak To Four

The varsity soccer team won its first Ivy League game Saturday as it shut out the Columbia Lions, 2-0, on Cumnock Field. This was the fourth successive time that the opposition has failed to score against the Crimson.

The match was not the Crimson's most impressive performance and coach Bruce Munro attributed this to two factors. "Columbia is the best team we've played so far and there was a lack of hustle on our part." he said.

Individual talent once more carried the Crimson through the contest as Solomon Gomez and Pete Bogovich scored the Crimson tallies.

Columbia strength and Harvard's lack of hustle showed itself early in the first period. The Crimson missed passes and could not maintain complete control of the ball as it had done against the B.U. Terriers the week before.

No Balls

The Lions threatened, but good work by Crimson fullbacks-Bob Grey, Bill Brock and Chris Wilmot-and goalie Bill Meyers prevented any balls from entering the Crimson net.

The first Harvard tally came at 13:30 of the first period. Gomez had possession of the ball and three defenders tried to take it away. They failed and left highly touted Columbia goalie, Doug Watt, as the only defender of the Lion's snare. He never had a chance.

The second and third periods were uneventful except for the outstanding play of Meyers in the net. Meyers who moves very well despite a painful knee injury blocked several shots that would have been goals if anybody with lesser range had been in the nets.

Bogavich Drives It In

The final Crimson goal came in the fourth period off the right foot of Pete Bogavich. Nearly 40 yards from the net, Bogavich drilled the ball past some wary Columbia defenders and a surprised Lion goalie. The score came at 2:41 and it made a Harvard victory almost certain.

After the second Crimson goal, Columbia tried to score but their best attempt only creased the outside of the net.

With less than eight minutes remaining in the game, both sides took a five minute time-out while the referees repaired the Harvard net.

Meyers then went up to block a high shot and succeeded in deflecting it over the net. But on the way down he had to use the bar on the front part of the net to keep his balance, breaking the bar.