Nelson Seeks Corporation Post

Steven R. Nelson, a candidate for the Cambridge City Council, has announced his candidacy for membership in the Harvard Corporation.

In an October 9 letter to President Pusey, Nelson reviewed his credentials and explained his philosophy of Harvard-community relations. Yesterday he said that a Medical School professor will formally nominate him for the post.

A rock music impressario and graduate of the Law School and the Kennedy School of Government, Nelson wants to replace one of two Fellows who will retire in June. The President and Fellows choose nominees for vacant positions; the Board of Overseers affirms the nominations.

In requesting nominations, the Corporation said,. "The ideal candidate should possess a readiness to entertain new ideas and the ability realistically to assess their value." They expressed interest in candidates 35 to 45 years old, but did not rule out younger nominees. Nelson is 28.

Voice For Students

In his letter, Nelson said that he can represent both Harvard students and community residents: "I could bring to the Corporation a voice for the students of the University and a voice for the community, with the hope that a new basis for understanding and cooperation can be found."

Nelson said of his chances for election to the Corporation, "Realistically, they are small. I am running to support Harvard involvement in Cambridge andto set an example as a young candidate."

Sargent Kennedy '28, Secretary to the Harvard Corporation, said that hundreds of nominations had arrived. Of Nelson's candidacy he said, "If his name is in, he is up for consideration."

Another council candidate and long-time foe of Harvard policies, Jessie L. Gill, unsuccessfully tried to send a letter to C. Douglas Dillon '31, president of the Board of Overseers. Miss Gill's letter contained proposals for opening channels of communication between Harvard and the community, she said yesterday.

The letter was forwarded from one to another of Dillon's addresses and ultimately was returned with a "refused" stamp.