May Chooses Roberts, Williamson For Aides on Houses, Curriculum

Dean May has taken two Faculty members as part-time assistants to help him in matters concerning the Houses and curriculum reform.

The two are mare J. Roberts '64, assistant professor of Econmics, and Samuel R. Williamson Jr., assistant professor of History and Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Kirkland House. May said yesterday the two assistants would provide him with general staff assistance. "It is not clear how they will divide it up, if they do divide it up. They will help me and others think about problems arising in the houses and in matters of curriculum."

Roberts was one of the leaders of the Committee for Radical Structural Reform last Spring, and sharply criticized monst current policies of the Harvard Administration.

Yesterday, Roberts said he had agreed to serve in his new post, without pay, only until nov. 1, when he would take another look at the situation.

"The actions of the Administration so far this Fall make me pessimistic about the possibilities for reform at Harvard, but I felt an obligation to the College to make an attempt on a temporary basis," Roberts said.

Unlike Roberts, Williamson has in the past been a protege of May's. Both williamson and May are diplomatic historians: Williamson teaches History 135a; May teaches History 135b.

Polishing Up the Houses

Paul J. Corkery '68 will work under Roberts and Williamson as a full-time research assistant. Corkery. a former Supplement Editor of the CRI.M.SOx, said his first project will be analysis of the House's begin by asking, 'What is the equivalent of the Polish vote?" he said.