Enrollment Falls In Math, Science, Rises In Soc Sci

Science and mathematics are continuing to drift down ward this Fall in popularity among students. According to tentative enrollment figures released by the Registrar's Office, Mathematics Ia has dropped to seventh place though it was second as late as 1964. Natural Sciences 5, a general biology course, though sixth in 1964 is now ninth with only 322 students.

Front Runner

Now leading the University in total enrollment for the second year is Humanities 7. Taught by William Alfred, professor of English and author of the Broadway play Hogan's Goat, the course contrasts British and American plays of the last 20 years with those of Sartre, Beckett, lonesco and some early Greek playwrights. Hum 7 dropped from a high of 945 students last year to 736 for this term, though it is still easily in the lead.

Social Sciences 134, taught by John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economies, has leapt from seventh place last year to second, with 350 students. this Fall Galbraith's course on "The Modern Industrial Society" has bumped Economics 1 to third place from a position in the top two which it held for the previous five years.

Entering the Charts

The entrance of Natural Sciences 110, an introductory computer course, into the top ten at sixth position reflects a new interest in computer technology.

Fine Arts 13a edged from fifth last Fall to fourth this term. followed by Social Relations 10c, "Introduction to Social Psychology." in fifth place. Humanities 3 falls eighth and Government la tenth.