Committee to Choose Niemans Is Appointed

The Harvard Corporation has chosen the committee which will select twelve newsmen to spend next year at Harvard as Nieman Fellows.

Dwight E. Sergeant, Curator of the Nieman Fellowships, and William M. Pinkerton, Harvard University News Officer (both former Nieman Fellows), are standing members of the Nieman Selection Committee. Dean May replaces William Liller '48 Robert Wheeler Wilson Professor of Astronomy, as the third Harvard officer on the committee.

The committee's three newspapermen this year are Moss W. Armistead III, President and Publisher of the Ronoake

Times and World-News, Robert Manning. Editor-in-Chief of the Atlantic Monthly (a former Nieman Fellow in 1946), and Warren H. Phillip. Executive Editor of the Wall Street Journal.

The current class includes twelve Fellows from the United States, three Associate Fellows from South Africa. Belgium and South Korea, and the first Nieman Research Fellow ever appointed. He is Louis Banks, 52-year-old managing editor of Fortune magazine.

Among the American Fellows is Gene Golz, a reporter for the Detroit Free Press, who has won two Pulitzer Prizes.

'Belgian Cronkite'

The Fellows, who are on leave from their jobs, spend the academic year in study related to their special fields or to their general interests. Hendrik L. Smith. of the New York Times Washington Bureau, who will be in the Times' Moscow bureau next year, is studying Russian and Russian History, Francois Van Aal, Associate Nieman Fellow from Radio Television Belge, and known to the other Niemans as "the Belgian Walter Cronkite." is taking American Government courses.

The 1970-71 class will be the 33rd annual group of Niemans at Harvard. The Fellowships were established in 1938 under a bequest from Agnes Wahl Nieman in memory of her husband. Lucins W. Nieman, founder of the Milwaukee Journal.