Harvard Rates Fourth In New England Polls

Harvard floated at the top of New England football ratings for two weeks. But in losing to Boston University, the Crimson lost both its 10-game winning streak and its top position in the polls. The Associated Press and the New England Football Coaches Association rate Harvard fourth this week.

Boston College, which has a 2-0 record after downing Navy and Tulane, is first in both polls though the Eagles edged Dartmouth by only one point, 169-168, in the AP tabulations.

B.U. was 27 points behind Dartmouth in the AP poll, but tied the Indians for second in the ratings by the coaches. Following Harvard in the New England poll were: New Hampshire - fifth. Yale - sixth, Connecticut - seventh, Massachusetts - eighth, Brown - ninth, Amherst - tenth.

Ups and downs

While Harvard is moving down, Yale and Brown continue to move up slowly. Both have moved up a notch each week. The Elis rallied in their game Saturday to overcome Colgate, 40-21. It was their first victory of the season.

Brown moved up despite losing, 22-2, to Penn. But the game was closer than the score indicated. The Bruins gained 264 yards in the offense - 20 more than the Quakers, but six interceptions and 34 yards in penalties halted the Brown attack. The Bruins have a big chance to move up in next week's polls since they play Yale Saturday in Providence.

Dartmouth will have a tough game this weekend when it hosts Penn. But if the Indians win convincingly enough, they may take over the number one spot.

The AP first-place votes went to the top three teams, with B.C. getting nine, Dartmouth, eight, and B.C. one. It was the first week that Harvard received no first-place votes.