Frehman Gridders Lose to Princeton; Late Rally Falls Short in 23-12 Defeat

Harvard's freshman football team allowed unbeaten Princeton to take a. 17-0 halftime lead, then made a futile effort to play catch-up in the second half, as the Tigers sent the Crimson down to its third consecutive defeat, 23-12, at Soldiers' Field Saturday morning.

A deep punt on Princeton's first set of downs put the Yardlings on their own goal line after two minutes of play, and fullback Chuck Krohn was dumped in the end zone immediately for a Princeton safety.

Three days of rain before Saturday had made the field a soggy mess, and poor execution hurt Harvard equally. It was not until the final minute of play in the first period that the Yearlings made a first down, and by then Princeton had scored again on a 43-yard march.

The Tigers added another touchdown just before the half on a five yard run by quarterback John Lovejoy, and Harvard appeared beaten. But the culmination of a 77-yard march and an interception return, both within a minute midway through the third period, put Harvard back into contention.

Halfback Ted DeMars made a diving catch of a four-yard pass from Frank Guerra to put Harvard on the scoreboard, and Phil Johnson returned the next Tiger pass for a 38-yard touchdown.

An immediate Princeton fumble gave Harvard possession again in Tiger territory, but two penalties stalled the drive, and by the time Harvard regained possession Princeton had marched 73 yards for its third touchdown and had virtually clinched a victory.