Senate Rejects Haynsworth Nomination

The Senate rejected yesterday-by a vote of 55-45-President Nixon's nomination of Clement F. Haynsworth, Jr. to the Supreme Court.

Seventeen Republican senators broke with the Administration to join 38 Democrats in denying confirmation of the President's nominee. Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R-Penn.) sided with the opposition at the last moment in casting a "nay" vote.

Not since 1930, when it rejected John J. Parker by two votes, has the Senate turned down a Supreme Court nominee.

Labor and civil rights organizations initially opposed Haynsworth for his conservative decisions in the 4th U.S. Court of Appeals, but later, allegations of conflicts of interest and ethical improprieties provoked extensive controversy in Senate committee hearings.

Alan M. Dershowitz, professor of Law, said, "The decision reflects valid and healthy implementation of the Senate's power of advice and consent." Republican Whip Robert P. Griffin (R-Mich.) expressed similar feelings earlier when he commented, "I'm pleased that once again the Senate has fulfilled its long-neglected constitutional responsibility of advice and consent."

But Attorney General John N. Mitchell-the man who recommended Hayns worth to the President-said. "The vote was a reflection of the failure of some in the Senate to recognize the President's constitutional prerogatives."

Haynswbrth's defeat is a major blow to Mitchell's prestige, since he recommended the southern judge to Nixon without fully investigating the cases that later led to charges of conflicts of interest.

Not all the Law School professors were wholly enthusiastic about the Senate's decision. "I'm just afraid that Nixon's next nomination may be even worse," one said.