Crime Wins 23-2 Over Yalie Daily

The Harvard CRIMSON touch football team rolled to its 73rd con-ecutive undefeated season yesterday with a 23-2 win over an undermanned and outplayed Yale Daily squad. Behind the passing of quarterback Tom Southwick, brought off the bench in the last three minutes of the game and the hand and moves of Mike Barrett, he Crimeds came from behind to swamp the stunned and previously unbeaten Elis.

Yale got off to a quick start when Ben "Butterfingers" Beach took the opening kickoff and returned it 55 yards for the initial score. Unfortunately for the Crimeds. Beach had run the wrong way and the Bulldogs scored a safety. Beach roared back in the second quarter, however, to score the first Crimson touchdown with a long, 34-yard gallop. He slanted off the right tackle, broke three tackles, and scampered the remaining distance to the goal line to give the CRIMSON a 7-2 halftime edge.

The Savior

But it was Southwick and a stalwart defense which dominated the rest of the game. Led by Middle Guard Pete "Monster" Lennon, Chuck "Ring Ding" Hagen, and Johnny "Long Shot" Powers, the defense nailed legendary Yale quarterback David "B.D." Nix for seven consecutive losses. Southwick, an unheralded junior second-stringer. came off the bench with three minutes to go and hurled three long bombs to Barrett to save a thrilling game and a thrilling season. The game ball was awarded to player-coach Ron Janis, the key linebacker, who played in his last game as a Crimed.