Subgroup Will Report On Cambridge Project

By Jeff Magalif

The Faculty subcommittee on the Cambridge Project will present two alternative recommendations on how Harvard should be associated, with the Project to the Committee on Research Policy tomorrow.

Harvey Brooks, dean of Engineering and Applied Physics and chairman of the subcommittee, declined yesterday to comment on the recommendations. But they probably suggest, respectively, that Harvard join M.I.T. on the governing board of the Project, and that it not join the governing board but allow individual professors and students to sign contracts with the Project.

Brooks said in late September that he "couldn't imagine." the subcommittee's recommending that Harvard forbid its professors and students from having anything to do with the Project.

The $7.7 million, five-year Cambridge Project, funded by the Defense Department, uses M.I.T. computers to analyze social science data. It has been attacked by radicals as designed to serve what they see as American imperialism.

The Brooks subcommittee has been discussing the Project in twice-weekly sessions since it was created two months ago by the Committee on Research Policy. "We haven't been able to reach a unanimous agreement." Brooks said yesterday.

Dean Ford, who chairs the Research Policy Committee, said yesterday that "Harvard ought to make its decision on the Project by the end of December." Either the Research Policy Committee will advise the Corporation directly on what links to form with the Project, Ford said, or the Committee will advise the Faculty on what policy to recommend to the Corporation.

Afro and SDS have collected over 600 signatures on an anti-Project petition, according to an Afro spokesman. The petition claims that the aim of the Project is "controlling the lives, minds, and destinies of [oppressed people here and abroad] in the economic interests of the U.S."