Varsity Defeats Freshmen, 102-93

Junior guard Dale Dover scored on four driving lay-ups midway through the second half to help push the varsity basketball team to an 18-point lead and an eventual 102-93 victory over the freshman team last night in the IAB.

The freshman first team jumped to a 6-1 lead in the opening minutes of the game, but couldn't hold it as jumpshots by Matt Bozek and twisting drives by Dover soon evened the score at 10-10.

With both teams substituting freely, the game turned into a see-saw battle during the first half, with the varsity leading at times by five points and the freshmen holding short-lived one point leads. The varsity led at half-time by two points, 48-46.

Dover, who hit on nine of 15 field goal attempts, was the game's leading scorer with 22 points. Sophomore guard Bozek finished with 18.

The varsity's first team started the second half, but freshman coach Ken Klug, giving all his players equal time, started his reserves. The varsity, surprised that the freshman starters weren't playing, broke the game wide open after four minutes of the second half.

Top Rebounders

Hardy. who with forward Brian Newmark led all rebounders with 11, started the splurge on a hook shot. Then Dover scored three fast break lay-ups. Bozek hit a short jump shot. Hardy made a 12-foot jumper, and the varsity had a 16-point lead, 75-59.

With both teams continuing to substitute, the freshmen pulled within six points with three minutes left in the game on the strength of good shooting by guard Stan Mark. But the varsity held its lead to win.

"I was surprised that coach Klug didn't start his first team in the second half." said varsity coach Bob Harrison. "Because of that I don't think we had the opportunity to get a chance to work as a unit," he added.

A substitute guard. Hal Smith, led the freshmen with 14 points. Stan Mark, with eight tallies in the last four minutes, finished with 11, and James Brown, had ten, even though he only played 8 minutes.

St. John's University, Harvard's first opponent, is ranked among the top ten teams in the nation by pre-season polls. That game on Dec, 4 in New York should be a real test of the Crimson's abilities.