Black Community Works for Unity

Representatives of the black community at Harvard have formed a group called the Organization for Black Unity to consolidate political efforts and to coordinate speakers and social events for black groups on campus.

The black students founding the group held an organizational meeting Monday night to discuss the Cambridge Project, community control of the schools, and "how to relate the skills acquired at Harvard to the struggle for black liberation," a report of the meeting stated yesterday.

"It's a concept which has been talked about and thought about for a long time, but has never been accomplished." Philip N. Lee, a third-year law student and spokesman for the group said.

The main task of the organization. Lee said, will be "to coordinate our efforts toward the liberation of all African peoples and the building of a black nation."

The group will hold its first general meeting tonight following a lecture by the Reverend Willie Floyd Ricks, former field secretary for SNCC, at 7:30 p.m. in the Geological Lecture Room.