B-School Faculty Passes Motions Concerning Increased Social Role

At a special meeting yesterday afternoon, the Business School Faculty recognized the right of instructors to reschedule classes due to "matters of conscience" and resolved to consider "The School and Society in the 1970's."

Of the two resolutions, the second demanded more discussion. Since there has been little difficulty in rescheduling classes in the past, the vote on that resolution was largely a formality. The main business of the meeting was the decision to initiate discussion on "The School and Society."

Convocation

George P. Baker '25, dean of the Faculty of Business Administration, said after the meeting that he soon would appoint a committee to organize a Faculty convocation on the topic. That convocation will meet either this Spring or early next Fall, Baker said.

Riohard S. Rosenbloom '54, Professor of Business Administration, proposed the resolutions. In defending the "School and Society" motion, he urged the faculty to "examine recent and prospective changes in the social environment and to re-examine [its] views on some basic issues in light of these changes."

Not Trivial

Rosenbloom said that his talk was to persuade Faculty members that "they should commit themselves to a process of self-examination, education, and renewal that will require more than a trivial amount of their time in the next two years."

A motion to table discussion indefinitely on the right to reschedule classes failed to gain a two-thirds majority in a 46-30 vote. The resolution was eventually passed overwhelmingly. After modifications in wording, the resolution to consider the school's role in society also carried by a large margin.

Rosenbloom proposed the two resolutions and one other which the faculty did not consider due to lack of time. That resolution would have asked the Committee on Governance, now considering the long-term means of handling issues outside of ordinary educational policy and operations, to create an interim body for such issues.