Runners Face Terriers In First Indoor Contest

By Wilson Dubose

Those Crimson fans who are still piqued at the football team's loss to Boston University should come to the track bubble at 6 p. m. tonight. There they will see Harvard's indoor track team gain revenge, and plenty of it, in its season-opening meet against the Terriers.

Though containing a few weak spots, this year's Crimson squad again should be one of the strongest outfits in the East, just as it has been for the past ten years.

B. U., on the other hand, again should be one of the weakest teams. In their first meet last week, the Terriers showed little sign of improvement over previous years as they absorbed a 78-31 drubbing from Brown-hardly a big-time track power.

Better Balance

"We won't have quite as much strength as last year, but overall, we should be a better-balanced team this year." said Harvard field event coach Ed Stowell. The loss of "strength" is due primarily to the graduation of shot-putters Dick Benka and Charles Ajootian, two of the finest weight throwers in Harvard history.

The depleted weight squad now is led by junior Ed Nosal, defending Heptagonal champion (Ivy League, plus Army and Navy) in the 35-lb, weight throw. Sophomore Jacke Driscoll, whose best freshman toss was 52 ft. 3 in. will be the Crimson's leading shot-put contender.

Barring further injuries. Harvard's distance runners again should form one of the team's strongest links. The distance crew consists almost entirely of the runners who made up the Crimson's undefeated cross-country squad this fall.

Roy Shaw and Keith Colburn, beginning the final year of their record-breaking careers, will be the Crimson's top threats in the mile and 1000-yard runs, respectively. Junior Dave Pottetti is the leading two-miler.

The long jump probably will be one of the Crimson's most productive events this year, with seniors Skip Hare and Bob Galliers leading the way, Hare leaped 24 ft. 3 in, outdoors last spring, and surpassed the 24-foot barrier on two other occasions. Galliers also reached the 24-foot mark in the outdoor Heptagonal meet last spring.

Harvard also could be strong in the sprints this season, for the first time in years. Sophomore Ed Diamond and Bud Wilson add much-needed strength in the 60-yard dash, and juniors Tom Downer and John Gillis should be definite threats in the 600-yard run. Walter Johnson and John Metzger are the leading contenders in the 60-yard hurdles.

Senior Jim Coleman, who reached a near-record 6 ft. 9 in, outdoors last year, returns to lead the Crimson high jump contingent, while untested sophomore Clayton Bredlau looms as the top pole vaulter.

In tonight's meet, B. U. will offer one of its few strong challenges in the shot put-in which Philip Conway threw 53 ft. 51/2 in, against Brown-and in the 600-yard run, which Thomas Beatty won in the Brown meet with a time of 1:14.5.

Harvard should enjoy B. U. while it can, since a rugged Army team probably will give the Crimson all it can handle next Saturday in Cambridge.