Yardling Squads Roll to Victories

The Harvard Yardling fencing team edged Concord Carlisle High. 14-13, in Concord yesterday afternoon, while the freshman squash team rolled to a convincing 7-0 victory over Andover at Hemenway Gym.

Fencing coach Edo Marion had called the Concord match "the toughest match of the year" for the freshmen, but three victories by foil Donald Valentine and epee Alvia Shaw, and a clutch 14th-match win by Ken Bartels provided the impetus for the inexperienced Yardlings.

Sabre Walter Morris collected two wins along with Bartels, and David Fichter, Nicholas Sakis. James Wood, and captain Ronald Bernstein each won one of three matches.

Racquetmen Sweep

Number-one player Peter Briggs, last year's New England interscholastic champion, led the freshman racquetmen past the traditionally tough Blue with a 15-9, 15-7, 15-9, victory. Briggs' cohorts easily swept the other six matches, and the Crimson upped its record to 2-0.

The Crimson racquetmen journey to M. I. T. next week, and the Yardling fencers face C. C. N. Y. Saturday in New York City.