Harvard Basketball Team Overpowers Strong Boston University Squad, 95-71

Jumping to an early 14-5 lead, the Harvard basketball team, with superlative team play and good rebounding, crushed a strong Boston University team last night. 95-71, for its first win of the season.

Harvard's freshman team, despite periods of poor passing, recorded nine straight points midway through the second half of their game and went on to defeat the Terriers' freshmen, 97-85.

Using a special zone defense to bottle Hayes, the Crimson varsity held a ten point advantage through most of the first half and was ahead at half-time, 44-33

Sophomore guard Matt Bozek. with eight field goals in the first half on jump shots and fast break lay-ups, finished the game with 25 points. Dale Dover, who covered Hayes man-to-man while his teammates played a zone, added 17, as did captain Ernie Hardy.

B.U. Never Led

B.U. came within five points after six minutes of the second half, but reserve forward Wayne Clapp scored on two layups to widen the margin. Brian Newmak, playing his first game as a starter, controlled the boards along with Hardy for the rest of the game. Newmark finished with 22 rebounds: Hardy had 14.

"I thought it would be closer." Harvard coach Bob Harrison said after the game. "But our kids were waiting to explode and they did it tonight. Every guy I put in played his best game," he said.

Harrison had special praise for Dover who held Hayes to 11 shots and only 18 points, and for Hardy and Newmark who gathered the majority of Harvard's 59 rebounds.

Besides rebounding well, the Crimson worked effectively as a team, passing sharply against a shifting B.U. zone. When the Terriers pressed full-court, Dover and Bozek broke through to score or pass for easy lay-ups.

The Harvard freshmen-who held a 16-point advantage early in the first half. but lost it to the scrappy Terriers- managed to stay ahead 39-37 at half-time.

The B.U. freshmen turned several Harvard mistakes into a brief 67-66 margin midway through the second half. Guard Jean Wilkinson, with fire-up halfhandling against a full-court press and James Brown, who scored 12 points in the final seven minutes, sparked the Crimson outburst that built a 15-point lead.

Brown led all scorers with 22. center Floyd Lewis had 20 tallies on rebounds and short jump shots, and guard Stan Mark contributed 17.

"My team played half-heartedly through the middle of the game," said coach Ken Klug. "We didn't pass enough to break their press and lost the ball quite a few times when we tried to dribble through it. But Wilkinson and Brown finally put it away for us." he said.