Skiers Have First Meet Tomorrow With Expectation of Great Season

Three veterans will lead the alpine squad of the varsity skiing team tomorrow in its first meet of the season-the Pat Hardy Memorial Slalom in Waterville, N.H.

Captain Larry Carter, Alan Watson, and Jay O'Rear form a nucleus which coach Bill McCollom considers as good as any in the East. "On any given day. any one of them could win for us." he said. Greg Murdock is the fourth man on the team, which lost only Pete Carter at graduation.

The fifth spot is still open, hut McCollom is enthusiastic about Rod Colburn, a freshman who has done well in drills.

Tops in the East

Harvard is likely to be among the top teams in the East this winter. along with Dartmouth and Middlebury. If the nordic events-jumping and cross country-improve as expected, the Crimson could take the number one spot from Dartmouth. "With a little bit of luck. I see no reason why we shouldn't challenge for third or fourth place in the NCAA'S." McCollom said.

But McCollom also expects more Eastern competition this year. The University of New Hampshire is a possible challenger for the top ranking, and Williams. St. Lawrence and the University of Vermont will also have strong teams. "The competition this season should be the toughest in all the years I've been racing," Carter said.

Nordic Optimism

Juniors Chris Ferner and Jim Platz. who established themselves as jumpers last winter are the two main reasons for optimism about this year's nordic squad. McCollom thinks that they will win some important contests.

Fast-improving Rowley Hazard will jump with Ferner and Platz, making a trio which should be second only to Dartmouth, Hazard has been out with a broken ankle, but will probably be ready for the carnivals and championship meets in February.

Cross County

Nordic captain Steve Hinkle may be one of the nation's best in the cross country event, where Platz and Ferner will supply much-needed depth. Sophomores John Boyle and Dick Compton round out the squad, which will open its season next weekend.

In tomorrow's slalom, top juniors and post-collegians will race with the collegians and there will be a number of heats to replace the old seeding system-a procedure which should make the competition fairer for underdogs. There is some concern that there will be no snow.