Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Pancake Gobblers Ready for Contest

As Wednesday's First Annual Quincy House Pancake Eating Contest approaches, rivalry has blossomed. Yesterday challenger Richard J. Barton '72 Posted his war sonnet entitled "Beach Beware" on the steps to the House dining hall.

Bennett H. Beach '71, unofficial House champion with a reported 23 cakes, was unperturbed by Barton's threat. He dismissed Barton and four other challengers as merely "a little competition."

But in spite of Beach's confidence, the contest between Quincy's griddlecake gulpers will be close. "He's got the guts for this sport," trainer Andrew N. Meltzoff '72 said of Barton, his entry. "Rich wants to win this contest so bad he can taste it."

The contest's outcome could hinge on the candidates' choice of beverage. While Beach says that milk is the key ingredient of his gastronomical prowess, Barton claims that his secret "wonderjuice" will bring him victory. "We're going to soak his Bennies," said Barton.

Lawrence S. DiCara '70, Dorchester politician, hatched the idea for the pancake festival, and it is being organized by Kirby Wilcox '70.

Ground rules for the event are simple: each contestant will have a trainer and wear a numbered jersey. So far there are eight entries.

Scorers will plot the competitors' progress on a blackboard during the contest. A horn will sound to mark the downing of each griddlecake.

Contest organizers have not yet chosen a prize for the winner. "The honor of being the pancake eating champion of Quincy House should be enough for anyone," DiCara said.