Lee Shuffles Lightweights For UMass Confrontation

By Robert Decherd

Harvard wrestling coach John Lee has employed three different combinations of lightweights in the Crimson's first three matches, and he will try yet another against the University of Massachusetts at 8 p.m. tonight in the IAB.

"We don't exactly have a bunch of NCAA champions in the lower weights," Lee said Saturday after Franklin and Marshall had dealt the Crimson its first defeat of the season. 19-17.

In three meets, Harvard has been out-scored 34-5 in the lightweights, its only points coming from a forfeit by Brown in the 126-pound bout. The matmen have twice faced 13-0 deficits entering the 142 pound match.

Lee will move senior Tom Schnorr back to the 118-pound class tonight. "I just think he can do better there." he explained. "I'm hoping that we take 118."

Sophomore Steve Monsulik has made weight at 126, and will start there against U Mass, Monsulik last saw action in the season opener against Wesleyan, when he was pinned in the 134-pound bout.

For the first time this year. Harvard will forfeit the 134-pound class. Senior Bill Wasserstrom, who replaced Monsulik after he Wesleyan meet, aggravated a knee injury and is out for the season. Wasserstrom was pinned in both of his previous appearances.

The rest of the Harvard lineup remains unchanged. Mark Faller ?167 should have the toughest match facing the Redmen's Tom Young, whom he defeated in a close match last January.

Time did not permit a wrestle-off in the 138-pound class, so Saturday's starter, Dean Sheppard. will again start tonight. He meets one of the R??men's best wrestlers, John Branner.

UMass enters tonight's action with a 2-3 record. Lee said yesterday that another close match is in store for the Crimson. A JV match. combining freshmen and varsity wrestlers, precedes the varsity confrontation at 6:30 p.m.

While the varsity was at home Saturday, the freshman wrestling team rolled to a 34-8 victory over the Connecti?nt freshmen in Storrs. It was the Yardlings' third victory without a defeat.

After falling behind. 8-5. the Yardlings rallied for 29 straight points. including a run of four falls in the 138-, 167-, 177-, and 190-pound bouts.