Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Freshman Flab Council Moves to Abolish PT's

Does reading in the shower room of the IAB build a body? Many non-athletic Harvard students have fulfilled their physical training (PT) requirements in this and other similarly devious ways. But Harvard freshmen may not have to resort to such strenuous exercise much longer.

Since December 9, the Freshman Council has been circulating a petition in the Yard to abolish PT requirements.

"Harvard students are too mature and not stupid enough to be forced into anything," said Christopher C. Easter '73, Council president and organizer of the anti-PT campaign.

The Council has proposed that instead of demanding 30 hours of exercise per term from freshmen, the University should try to make students more aware of the available athletic facilities and offer more instruction. "The money now used negatively to keep records could fund the program," Easter said.

Easter said he expects the backing of at least five-sixths of the freshman class.

The Council will draw up a formal proposal in January and then present it to the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports. If a majority of its nine members approve the Council's plan, the Committee will present it to the Faculty for a vote.

Easter has already spoken to two committee members-Dean Watson, the chairman, and Adolph W. Samborski '25, Director of Athletics.

According to Easter, Samborski conceded that PT requirements no longer serve their purpose, which he saw as keeping the freshmen from getting "homesick."