Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Massachusetts Builds Early Lead To Down Harvard Matmen, 26-13

By Robert Decherd

"Things were tough tonight." Harvard wrestling coach John Lee said last night after the Crimson matmen had been stunned, 26-13, by the University of Massachusetts in the IAB.

The Redmen built up a healthy 16-0 lead in the first four bouts, then stretched it to 23-2 before Harvard registered its first win of the night in the 167-pound class.

"We were in better condition than they were, but they nipped us." Lee said. "It was a very discouraging defeat."

Once again, the Crimson trailed 13-0 after the 126-pound bout, then captain Paul Catinella lost a 7-6 decision in the 142-pound bout and Pat Coleman was tied in the 150-pound contest to dim Harvard's hopes for its third match win of the season.

Catinella fell behind Sheldon Goldbeng in the first period, but rallied to go abead, 6-5, at the end of the second stanza. Sheldon tied the bout with an escape in the third period, and was awarded the winning point for riding time.

Dean Sheppard (158) was pinned with five secords left in the second period of his bout. His loss gave U Mass a 23-2 lead with only four bouts remaining.

Three of the Crimson's four heavy-weights delivered wins to narrow the gap. Harvard's Mark Faller (167) trailed Tom-Young for two periods before taking a slim 6-4 lead in the last stanza. Faller was then able to ride Young for almost two minutes to preserve victory.

Dave Scanlon (190) and Jim Abbott (unlimlted) persevered to sweep the last two bouts of the match. Scanlon outfinessed the Redmen's Tom Andrewes for two and a half periods, building up a 7-0 lead, then Audrewes injured his right knee and had to forfeit.

Unlimited was an apt description for Abbott's foe, huge George Zguris, who tips the scales at a delicate 287 pounds. Neither Zguris nor Abbott went to the mat in a scoreless first period, but Abbott scored a reverse in the second period to lead, 2-0. Zguris escaped to make the score 2-1 at the end of the period.

Abbott was on top as the last period began, and miraculously rode Zguris for all but five seconds of that stanza. Abbott then escaped to tie the score at 2-2, but received two points for riding time to win, 4-2.