Swim Team Downs Brown, 59-34, For Fourth Victory Without Loss

PROVIDENCE. R. I., Dec. 16-White a crowd estimated at 11 persons watched in silence. Harvard's swimmers survived a late Brown rally to win, 59-31. In a nonleague meet here tonight,

The Crimson again had a pair of double winners-Steve Krause and Paul Horvitz-as the swimmers won their fourth contest without a loss.

Harvard got off to a fast start after Horvitz knocked 15 oranges out of a box and into the water. Backstroker Dan Kobick set a pool record of 57.5 in the first leg of the 400-yard medley relay, building a seven-yard lead which his team never lost.

Krause and Greg Huff then stroked to an easy sweep in the 200-free to put Harvard on top, 15-1. Krause finished in 1:56.7.

Horvitz did 22.9 in the 50-free for his first victory of the night, and backstroker John Burris was third in the same event. Al Ackerman followed with a first in the individual medley in 2:11.3, and Harvard, five of whose swimmers were back in Cambridge studying Chem 20, led. 28-6.

The one-meter diving competition also failed to bring the crowd to its feet. Dave Silver and Dick Eisenberg had little trouble gathering eight points, especially since Brown has no divers, and these points proved to be enough to win the meet.

Krause downed the talented Cy Miller in the butterfly in 2:07.0, and in one of the night's closest races, Horvitz touched out a fast-finishing Steve Thomas of Brown in the 100-free. His time was 52.0.

But after Burris won the backstroke and Huff came back for a win in the 500-free, Brown started to rally.

Harvard's Dave Law led slightly through the first 150 yards of the breast-stroke, but Bruin Mare Christman, as his teammates shouted an inspiring chorus of "Go, go, go." rallied to touch out Law and give Brown its first win.

This triumph appeared to give the Bruins momentum, but Crimson coach Bill Brooks did not panic. He put two backstrokers, one breaststroker, and one reluctant freestyler, Ackerman, into the freestyle relay, the final event. This combination fell behind early and failed to come back giving Brown the win in 3:36.9.

The lineup in that relay was representative of Brook's strategy the entire evening. He used sprinter Mike Cahalan as butterflyer and backstroker, rather than putting him in the short freestyles, and used others in similar ways. Yet the meet was still not close, "Oh dear." Brooks sighedafterwards.