1600 Pledge to Fast For Peace; AFS To Get Rebates From Meals

By lunchtime yesterday, 1600 students sign pledges to take part in the fast-1100 from Harvard and 500 from Radcliffe-had registered their intention to participate in a four meal "peace fast" organized by the Harvard Moratorium Committee, Richard Zorza '72. a member of the committee. said yesterday.

Zorza said he expected that several hundred additional students would also scheduled for Friday and Saturday-before the sign-ups end. At Harvard, sign-ups end at lunchtime today, but at Radcliffe, sign-ups will continue until Wednesday, he said.

Harvard officials have agreed to issue rebates on meals missed by fasting students. Under an agreement with the Committee on Houses, the Harvard Undergraduate Council will forward the rebates to the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), which will use the money to support their already-established relief programs for Vietnamese civilians.

In an open letter issued yesterday, Everett I. Mendelsohn, associate professor of History and Science, and Charles P. Price 41, preacher to the University, called upon members of the faculty to support the fast by missing their noon meal on Friday and by contributing the cost of this meal to the AFSC.

The letter, which is printed on Page Five of today's CRIMSON, also urged members of the faculty to attend a 1 p.m. service in Memorial Church on Friday which will mark the beginning of the fast.