Implementation Committee to Meet To Discuss OBU Hiring Demands

An "implementation committee" composed of representatives of the Organization for Black Unity (OBU) and the Administration will meet at 4 p. m. today to discuss the OBU demands concerning University hiring practices and contracts.

According to Philip Lee, president of OBU, the blacks will be represented by Erna A. Ballantine, Harold Washington, Derrick A. Bell, Mel Mitchell, and a fifth delegate, probably a Radcliffe student.

Miss Ballantine, the former chairman of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination: Washington, a lecturer in Afro-American Studies: and Bell, a lecturer at the Law School, are also OBU's members on the committee to evaluate the painters helpers.

Two of the five administration delegates are Archibald Cox, professor of Law, and L. Gard Wiggins. Administrative Vice President.

Wiggins said last night that the three other administration representatives to the committee had not yet been chosen. No plans had been made to select the delegates, Wiggins said, but he added that they would be chosen sometime today.

Ed School

The Student Cabinet of the Graduate School of Education voted unanimously last Monday to request that a representative. William Hall, attend the meeting. One issue to be discussed is the issuing of a contract to build Gutman Library, the new Ed School Library.

Both Lee and Wiggins said they had not heard of this request. Hall, who is also on the Steering Committee of OBU, refused to coment.

OBU seized University Hall Friday and occupied the building for six hours. The implementation committee meeting, which will be held in Larsen Hall 103, was proposed by the administration December 2, prior to the sit-in. OBU's representatives were named on Friday.

The blacks' demands include the hiring of blacks and other minority group members to at least 20 per cent of the jobs on Harvard construction projects and the promotion of painters' helpers to journeymen.