Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Painter Asks Investigation

By Robert M. Krim

Lawrence A. Hodston, a Harvard painter and shop steward of local 1138 (Harvard) of the Painter's Union, said last night that the six-man committee set up Friday to investigate the painters' helpers issue should examine the helpers' on-the-job work in order to judge their qualifications for promotion.

"Let them sec the work these guys have been doing. They have been doing the same work as we have, so we can point out which walls and ceilings the helpers have painted." Hodston said, "Then the truth will tell."

The six-man committee of black construction firm representatives, students, and professors, named in the "Cox-Lee" accord following Friday's University Hall occupation, is scheduled to begin reviewing the helpers' qualifications this week.

Hodston said that he would be available to assist the committee "in any way possible." in its investigation. "I think I can be helpful to the committee." he added.

The two-year contract between the maintenance workers, including the painters, ceased at midnight. The University and union officials are still negotiating. The latest University offer will be considered by the union in meetings this week. At that time the union members will vote one of three options; accepting the offer and signing the contract; rejecting the offer, but continuing to work while waiting for a better offer from the University: or rejecting the offer and going "out on strike."

The major issue between the University and the union representatives, acording to informed sources, is wage rates.