Kagan Group to Poll H-R on Coed Housing

By Deborah B. Johnson

The Kagan Committee on Residential Living will distribute a poll on coed housing this week to serve as the basis for the committee's final recommendations to the Faculty on housing after the merger.

The three-page questionnaire, to be tabulated over Christmas vacation, asks about student attitudes on coed living and outlined three possible plans for long-range coed housing.

The proposals are:

Coed living in three or four Harvard Houses and two or three Radcliffe Houses. This would give the coed Houses a male-female ratio of either five-to-three or two-to-one.

A limited exchange for freshmen-involving 100 from each College.

No coed housing in the Yard, but giving Radcliffe freshmen the option of living in a coed dorm in the Quad.

Student reaction to the proposals in the poll will determine whether or not the Kagan Committee recommends them to the Faculty. The committee will probably finish its final report by February.

Jerome Kagan, professor of Develop-

mental Psychology, emphasized yesterday the importance of a substantial return on the questionnaire. "This poll must represent student opinion so that the committee's recommendations to the Faculty, based on the poll, will present a strong argument," he said.

Several House at both Harvard and Radeliffe have taken polls on coed housing this Fall. The Kagan Committee, however, will not draw on this information.

"We wanted a standardized poll that everyone's taking at the same time under the same conditions," Joseph Thaler '71, a member of the committee, said yesterday.

Kagan will give the Faculty an interim report this afternoon and will present the three experimental coed living proposals for next semester. If the Faculty approves them, they will probably be implemented next semester.