Fast Waickowski Moves Hoopsters To Harvard Win

By Richard D. Paisner

Harvard's varsity basketball team, sparked by 6-10 senior Paul Waickowski's fine all-around play, wore down stubborn Brown, 76-63 at the IAB Saturday night.

Brown nudged its way into a small lead at the start, but Mike Janczewski and Chris Gallagher rallied the Crimson to a one-point advantage with two minutes left in the half. Then Waickowski entered the game, sank a turn around and a three-point tip-in on successive forays and finished up with a sweeping hook from the right baseline shortly before the buzzer. Harvard led at the half, 38-35.

Harvard came out flying at the start of the second period. Waickowski blocked a Brown shot, Eric Gustavson galloped down the floor and dropped in an 18-foot jump shot. Waickowski forced another turnover and Harvard took advantage on a slick tip-in by sophomore Dale Dover.

The Bruins, however, led by Bob Purvis and Louis Roedersheimer, cut their eight point deficit to one with 15 minutes to go in the game, and then took a 46-45 lead on Bob Rothemic's jump shot.

Brown refused to quit and tied it for the last time at 54. With Waickowski back in the lineup after a brief rest, Harvard started its winning burst.

First Dover hit Gustavson off a fast break and then, seconds later, he passed deftly over his shoulder to Waickowski on another break. On a third break after Brown missed a shot and Hardy cleared the board, Dover waited for the flow to catch up and then cut across it from right to left for a hard-to-believe layup. That made the lead six points with seven minutes left. Gradually, Brown had to foul to get the ball and Harvard made enough of its chances to win by a comfortable margin.