Wrestlers Succumb, 19-17 As Chiefs Triumph Again

The Springfield wrestling team continued its 10-year streak of New England college victories with a 19-17 triumph over Harvard last night in the IAB.

Springfield's strength in the lower weights proved the difference as the Chefs jumped to an early 14-10 lead. Despite a near Crimson sweep in the heavier classes, Harvard was never able to recover from this early deficit.

Wrestling ECAA rules, Harvard had to provide a competitor for the 115-pound class. In order to fill this slot, both Tom Schnorr and Bruce Goodman moved down one weight class. Schnorr, hurt by the shift, lost 7-0. Goodman's match was much closer, but again Springfield won on points.

Already ahead, 6-0, Springfield widened its lead in the next bout when Tom Pollard pinned Harvard's 130-ponder Bill Wasserstrom, who was filling in for Goodman.

The Crimson then suffered its most crucial setback in the lower weights. Paul Catinella, undefeated this season, lost the 137-pound class to Cameron Singular by one point. The Harvard strategy had counted on a victory at this pint in order to win the meet. With four wins in a row, Springfield had compiled a 14-0 bulge.

Refusing to give up, however, the Crimson dominated the rest of the meet. In the heavier weights, Harvard lost only one match and tied another.

First Points

Pat Coleman gave Harvard its first points when he subdued his Springfield opponent with an impressive 7-1 decision. Bart Harvey, a 152-pounder, followed Coleman's victory with another win by decision, making the score 14-6. Both Coleman and Harvey were wrestling unbeaten adversaries. With these unexpected wins, Harvard jumped back into contention.

The next bout was a tie as the Crimson's Mark Faller battled to an 8-8 deadlock. The meet score stood at 16-8. Captain Howie Chatterton narrowed the lead again, beating the Chiefs' captain on points in the 167-pound class. Springfield was then on top by only five points.

Imrie Wins

John Imrie pushed Harvard to within two points of the Chiefs by winning a 3-0 decision over his opponent. With only two bouts remaining, the Crimson needed just one pin to tie.

Tony Rayner, wrestling at 191, put in a strong performance and nearly tied his man in the final five seconds of the match, but lost, 3-1. This setback put the score at 19-14 and guaranteed Springfield at least a tie.

Tom Tripp, wrestling in the unlimited class, earned the Crimson three points, but not five, as he triumphed, 3-1.