Harvard Five Bows to Big Red; Plays Columbia Here Friday Night

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard basketball team, letting down badly after a superior performance against Columbia on Thursday, lost its seventh Ivy game in nine starts at Cornell, Saturday, 92-72.

Harvard was flat throughout the game, but had its worst moments at the beginning and the end. Cornell jumped to a 13-2 lead in less than five minutes. The running game brought the Crimson back into contention and into a four point lead shortly before halftime.

Then a couple of bad passes gave the Big Red scoring opportunities which they took advantage of to tie the game, 33-33, at the half.

Harvard's two leading rebounders, Chris Gallagher and Ernie Hardy, played much of the first half with three fouls and each got a fourth shortly after the start of the second period. Coach Harrison elected to keep them on the bench for protection and Cornell built up a medium-sized lead.

With about 10 minutes left, both players re-entered the game only to foul out within minutes. Harvard completely collapsed at this point and the Cornell big men turned the game into a laugher.

Bill Schwarzkopf--averaging 12 points a game--scored 28 for the winners and Dom Calderone--averaging seven--scored 24. The 6-8 center, Walt Esdale, an intimidating 240 lbs., contributed 16.

Chris Gallagher--the ninth leading scorer in Harvard history--had 15 points, while sophomores Mike Janczewski and Dale Dover tallied 13 apiece and Eric Gustavson added 11.

Harvard plays Columbia and Cornell in League rematches this weekend at the IAB.