Harvard Fencers Upset Princeton; Cetrulo, Tatrallyay Pace Crimson

In one of the most stunning upsets in Harvard fencing history, the varsity swordsmen defeated Princeton 15-12 on Saturday in New Jersey. Behind triple wins of sophomores Larry Cetrulo and Geza Tatrallyay, and key victories of Cliff Rudermann and Tony Abbott, the Crimson surprised the unbeaten Tigers and finally realized the pre-season hopes of Harvard coach Edo Marion.

On Friday the Crimson dumped Rutgers 18-9 with Cetrulo and Tatrallyay undefeated. Tom Keller, Harvard's highly-rated foil who had trouble with his form early in the season, also came through, winning four of his five meet bouts over the weekend.

Dual Upsets

Keller's one loss was at the hands of Princeton's number one foil, but a brilliant upset of the Tigers' second foil by Cliff Ruderman made up for it. In the sabre the key win was Tony Abbott's victory over Princeton's number three man. With the match score tied at 9-9, Cetrulo finished off his day with his third victory. Team captain Ron Winfield, however, had an off day and had dropped two of his three, putting the pressure on Abbott to score an upset. After a see-saw match he finally won 5-4.

The epee team, which has carried the Crimson all year, then mopped up the last of the Tiger opposition. Tatrallyay won his three and Mark Irvings, star of the Columbia meet, won two to give the Crimson a key 7-2 margin the weapon.