Swordsmen Host Brandeis Today

The Harvard fencers, sky-high after their upset victory over league-leading Princeton last Saturday, will be looking for their third victory in a row when they meet Brandeis at the IAB today.

The team is undefeated in eight years of fencing competition against Brandeis and should extend the winning record to nine.

Harvard is strong in the epee and sabre but has had trouble in its early meets with the foil. In weekend victories against Rutgers and Princeton, however, strong foil performances proved key factors in determining the meet's outcomes. Foil swordsman Tom Keller swept four of his five contests over the weekend while Cliff Ruderman's win over the Tiger's second foil gave Harvard the margin of victory against Princeton.

The epee team, which has earned nearly as many points for the fencers this season as the sabre and foil combined, will be Harvard's strongest entry today. Geza Tatrallyay and Mark Irvings ran up a 7-2 edge over the Tiger epee squad last Saturday and could go undefeated against Brandeis.

Captain Ron Winfield and sophomore Larry Cetrulo could also go undefeated in the sabre. Fast-improving Tony Abbott, who came up with a surprise win over his Tiger opponent in the sabre, will give the fencers a three-man threat in that sword.