Swordsmen Face Undefeated NYU

Following a disappointing loss to Columbia on January 11, Harvard's varsity fencing team faces another stiff test against New York University at 2 p.m. today in the IAB.

The foil will be the key in what coach Edo Marion calls "the toughest match of the year." Against Columbia, the failure of the foil team to win more than one bout gave the Lions the match. The biggest surprise was the triple loss of sophomore star Tom Keller, whose record before the Columbia meet was 11-1.

The sabre team, on the other hand, was strong, with Larry Cetrulo and Ron Winfield each winning two bouts. Today against NYU the sabres will again have to be winners if the Crimson is to have the upset it seeks. The sophomore-led epees won three bouts against Columbia and will do well to repeat that performance today.

It all depends on the foils. Tom Keller, one of the best fencers Harvard has ever had, sets the pace for his teammates. When he dropped three against Columbia he dropped the morale of the team. If he wins three today he could destroy the morale and the unbeaten record of powerhouse NYU.