Nayar Takes Collegiate Squash Title; Harvard Retains Team Championship

Anil Nayar completed a brilliant collegiate career by successfully defending his national title, and led Harvard to its fourth consecutive four-man team championship yesterday at the Intercollegiate Squash Championships held in New Haven.

Nayar had to come from far behind in his semifinal match to become only the second person to win the national title three years in a row. The final victory was achieved over Harvard's Larry Terrell in a replay of last year's championship match.

Extreme Pressure

In the opening rounds Nayar defeated Mason Gerhart of Penn and Brown's Greg Gonzales to enter the semifinals against Spencer Burke. Penn's first man. The Crimson star had to play under extreme pressure after Burke won the first two games, 15-8 and 18-14.

In the decisive fifth game, Nayar was down four straight match points at 11-14. At 14-14 Burke hit a smash that just nicked the tin, and Nayar followed with a tremendous three-wall kick for the victory.

Terrell played extremely well against Geoff Scott in the qualifying rounds and had little trouble in eliminating Navy's Bob Cowan in his semifinal match, 15-10, 15-10, 15-5.

Draw Precedes Victory

In the final, Nayar and Terrell fought the first game to 13-13 with fine drop shots and cross-court volleys. In the five point set. Terrell won the first two points before Nayar recovered for an 18-16 win. In the next two games Terrell resorted to a lobbing style that Nayar used for 15-6 and 15-7 victories.

The Crimson's Fritz Hobbs and Fernando Gonzales came within single shots of recreating last year's all-Harvard semifinals. In the early competition, Gonzales defeated Erwin of Princeton, but succumbed to Navy's Cowen in the extra points of a four-game match. Hobbs, eliminated by Penn's Burke, also lost in an extended fourth game.

Hobbs and Gonzales' victories were crucial in the four-man team competition since the trophy is awarded by the number of rounds played by the total squad. Harvard's racquetmen collected 22 points, while runner-up Pennsylvania played 17 matches.