Swordsmen Rout Weak Yale, 19-8

By Thomas P. Southwick

In a fitting finale to their most successful season since 1957, Harvard's varsity swordsmen trounced Yale, 19-8, Saturday in the IAB. Captain Ron Winfield and sophomores Larry Certulo and Geza Tatrallyay carried the team as they have done all year.

In addition, Tom Keller, who had a disappointing year after starring on last year's freshman squad, finished the season with three wins. The foil team in general was better than it has been all season.

Cliffe Ruderman and Sam Fouts won two of their three matches to give the Crimson a 7-2 margin in the weapon and put the meet on ice. For Fouts, and fellow senior Winfield, yesterday's meet ended three-year varsity careers at Harvard.

The win gives Harvard a 10-3 record for the year, 3-2 in the Ivy League. Last year Harvard finished the season with a 7-8 record and was 0-5 in the League.

Tatrallyay, Winfield, and Certulo are all candidates for All-Ivy honors. Harvard has never had three fencers on the nine-man All-Ivy first team.

Winfield made the team last year and has had just as good a season this year. Cetrulo, living up to the promise he showed on last year's freshman team, has matched Winfield win for win all year, and for the first half of the season fenced in the number one position.

Tatrallyay

But is it Tatrallyay who has been the most pleasant surprise for Coach Edo Marion. The tall Canadian star, who had never fenced epee before the came to Harvard, consistently provided the team with upset wins to make up for disappointing performances by some of his teammates.

With the regular season over, Harvard now looks to the Intercollegiate at NYU starting on March 14 and the NCAA championship at North Carolina on March 27.

Cetrulo, Keller, and Tatrallyay and their fellow sophomores, Marc Irvings, Pat-Pankhurst, and George Spyrou, will be back next year to give the team needed depth. With Columbia and Penn graduating many of their top stars this year, Marion looks forward to an even better season next year.