Faculty Puts Off Student Motions At the B-School

The MBA Faculty of the Business School voted yesterday to delay considering two similar proposals where-by the Student Association president and the Harbus editor would attend Faculty meetings on a regular basis.

The Student Association (S.A.) proposal asks for student attendance "in an ex-officio non-voting capacity." The Harbus proposal requests "a non-voting but otherwise participating capacity."

George P. Baker '25, dean of the Business School, said last night that after about 15 minutes of discussion, the Faculty decided not to consider the proposals, both dated March 3, because of their sudden presentation and a very heavy agenda.

These two proposals will be discussed at a special Faculty meeting scheduled before April 8, Baker added.

Tabled

The motion to table the two proposals was passed by approximately a two-to-one margin. One Faculty member said that the debate focused on whether yesterday's Faculty meeting was the appropriate time to consider the proposals, rather than the actual merits of the proposals.

S.A. president Mark J. H. Weedon, a second-year MBA candidate, said that the student viewpoint could "assist the Faculty in their decisions" and that, reciprocally, students could "find out what bugs the Faculty."

Weedon explained that a serious problem at the Business School is a "lack of communication between administration, Faculty, and students on the macro level."

Harbus editor Frederick B. Wood, also a second-year MBA candidate, is optimistic and said that "the current MBA administration has the philosophy of encouraging communication." The administration realizes that the S.A. and the Harbus are "seriously interested in direct student involvement," he added.

The Harbus proposal further states that "the newspaper will be able to promote the mutual understanding and rational discussion which are needed for responsible decision-making."