Four Appointed to Professorships To Study Problems of Urban Life

Four authorities on aspects of urban life have been appointed as Harvard professors.

The professorships were provided for in a grant from the Ford Foundation, and will be supplemented by a professorship in urban law which will be filled later.

The new professors, who will take office on July 1, are John F. Kain in Economics, Lee Rainwater in Sociology, Nathan Glazer in Education and Social Structure, and Frederick E. Smith in Advanced Environmental Studies in Resources and Ecology. Smith's appointment is in the School of Design, Glazer's in the Graduate School of Education, and Kain's and Rainwater's are jointly in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Kennedy School of Government.

Kain Here Already

Kain is the only one of the four who is currently a member of the Harvard faculty, although Glazer has been a visiting professor here this year on leave from Berkeley.

Rainwater will be coming to Harvard from Washington University in St. Louis, Mo., where his studies have centered on urban social problems and race relations. Smith, currently at the University of Michigan, specializes in the study of population growth and the application of systems analysis to problems of the environment.

Kain presently is working on a study of migration from the South to Northern metropolitan areas and is doing research on housing markets. A consultant to the United States Commission on Civil Rights, he has been extensively concerned with the problem of race relations.

Harvard Lagging Behind

Commenting on the new professorships in urban studies, Kain said, "In some senses, we were already lagging behind the demand for people in these areas." He added, "I'm certain that having all these people will make a difference around here."

Glazer plans to continue his current work on issues in health and welfare policy while also doing more general work on problems in social policy.

In addition to their professorial duties, Kain and Rainwater will help plan the Kennedy School Ph.D. program in policy analysis. The program will include a significant option in urban studies, Kain said.