Trackmen Battle In NCAA Finals

Eleven Crimson track starts will go against the nation's best this weekend at the NCAA Indoor Championships at Detroit. Harvard is not expected to be a strong contender for the team title but coach Bill McCurdy has high hopes for several individual performers.

Sophomore weight man Ed Nosal is given the best chance for a Crimson victory but middle distance runner Keith Colburn is also a leading contender in his event, the 1000--yard run. Nosal's 62'2" toss in the 35-pound weight throw is a Harvard record, and is one of the longest throws in the country this season. Colburn set a Harvard record in the 1000-yard run earlier this season, and is also the University record-holder in the 880-yard run.

Finals Failure

Colburn's failure to qualify for the finals in last week's IC4A Championships in New York disappointed Coach McCurdy, but he is confident that his star will qualify in Detroit. "In New York, Keith was running against the clock, which he doesn't do well," he said, "But the trail heats in Detroit will be competitive, as they are based on previous times, so he shouldn't have any trouble."

Captain Dick Benka is one of the leading contenders in the shot put after taking the IC4A championship last week. His 61'5 3/4" heave earlier this season is a Harvard record and ranks him in the top five in the nation. Charlie Ajootian is expected to give Nosal a tough battle in the 35-pound weight event, along with two Navy throwers whom Nosal has already defeated this year.

Junior Royce Shaw and sophomore Jon Enscoe will be shooting for victory in the mile run and Harvard record-holder Doug Hardin will be aiming for a two-mile win. Shaw ran a blistering 4:02.8 mile last year but has been out much of this season with the flu, causing his time to suffer considerably.

The Crimson will run Steve Wimberley, Tom Downer, John Gillis, and Mike Hallock in the mile relay, with the trials being run on Friday night and the finals coming on Saturday.