Swimmers Remain Sixth; Munk Nets Fourth Place

By Bennett H. Beach

John Munk swam to a fourth-place in the 200-yard butterfly as he set a Harvard record, and the 800-yard freestyle relay team also netted a fourth in the second day of the Eastern Seaboards Swimming Championships at Yale yesterday.

Harvard remained in sixth place in the team standings, but Rutgers moved up from the seventh position to tie the Crimson with 74 points. Fifth-place Dartmouth is 19 points ahead of Harvard, so it seems unlikely that the Crimson can do any better than sixth, and it must now worry about holding off Rutgers. Yale is well on its way to a seventh consecutive title with an astronomical total of 2811/2 points.

Wow!

Munk's time of 1:56.8 broke the old mark held by Neville Hayes '67 by 0.6 seconds. Captain Martie Chalfie earned an additional two points for the Crimson with his eleventh-place finish. Princeton's Olympian Ross Wales was easily the winner in 1:53.7, while Paul Katz of Yale and Dave Pearl of Navy came in second and third.

The relay team, composed of Dave Powlison, John Bragg, Toby Gerhart, and Steve Krause, was hoping to quality for the Nationals March 28 at Indianapolis, but its time of 7:11.7 was 0.2 seconds shy of the cut-off.

Yale won the finals of the relay last night, but the next three teams staged a very close race. Princeton was runner-up with a 7:10.9 clocking. Villanova trailed by 0.4 seconds, and the Crimson was right behind with its time of 7:11.7.

Trying Won't Hurt

Harvard's relay team can attempt a qualifying time when coach Bill Brooks brings his team back to the IAB, but it will be more difficult without the fine competition to push the Crimson team.

Harvard only scored in one of yesterday's four other events. Powlison and Gerhart tied for twelfth in the 200-yard freestyle qualifying heats in 1:49.0. and Gerhart then won in a subsequent race against Powlison. Only 12 men may compete in the finals.

Gerhart conserved his energy in the freestyles because the relay was aproaching, and he splashed home last in a slow 2:01.4. Yale's Nelson was the victor.

Failure

Three Crimson swimmers failed to qualify in yesterday's activity, and no one from Harvard entered the individual medley. Steve Baumgart barely missed making it to the finals in the breaststroke. John Burris in the backstroke and Jim Smolen in the 200-yard free were also eliminated in the afternoon.

Brooks hopes that today's events will produce more points than yesterday's as the Eastern Seaboards come to a close. Krause, former world record-holder in the 1650-free, will be swimming in his specialty, and Bill Murphy is favored to win the three-meter diving.

Other strong Crimson contenders are Munk in the 100-yard butterfly and Gerhart in the 100-free. The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Gerhart, Bragg, Powlison, and Mike Cahalan is another powerful entry, also hoping to qualify for the Nationals.