Cliffies Trounced in Quiz Program At Norfolk State Prison Saturday

Five Cliffies were defeated by inmates of Norfolk State Prison Saturday night in a quiz program held at the prison and patterned after the television show college Bowl.

The prisoners won by a score of 170-90. Jody Adams '69, the Radcliffe team's captain, said, "We were all right on trivia, literature, and current events, but when it came to history science, and sports, they overwhelmed us."

Also representing Radcliffe were Ellen C. Barrett '71, Nina W. Brown '71, Tricia Hartge '71, and Jane E. Stein '71.

The program is sponsored by the Prisons Committee of Phillips Brooks House. Twelve Norfolk State inmates belong to a Quiz Club which competes with teams from Boston area colleges.

Harvard Rematch

In its two previous matches with Harvard this year, each team has won one game. Harvard will return for a third match next Saturday night.

According to Michael A. Bundy '70, director of the program, the inmates held a strong lead of the end of the first half, and fought off a Cliffie comeback in the second. "Speed counts more than knowledge, and the these guys practice frequently," he added.

'Portnoy's Complaint'

The question answered fastest by the Radcliffe team was one in which the moderator gave the first line of a review of a novel and asked for its author and title. The question was "laid out on a psychiatrist's couch;" the answer: Portnoy's Complaint by Phillip Roth.

The Norfolk team's leading scorers, Art Devlin and Tom McInerney, are publishing a colection of quiz questions entitled "Questions from the Rockpile." Their teammates Saturday night were Robert Trow, Frank Visser, and James Lang.

The Cliffies will return for a rematch later this spring.