Cavanaugh Makes All Ivy Team; NCAA Chooses Mark As All-Star

Sophomore Joe Cavanagh and junior Ron Mark received individual honors Monday when Cavanagh was selected for the 1969 Coaches' All-Ivy first hockey line, and Mark was chosen for the second team of the NCAA Tournament All-Stars.

Cavanagh's selection as center on the Ivy League's first line, along with Cornell's Brian Cornell and Pete Tufford, came as a surprise to no one. As Coach Cooney Weiland put it, "I don't see how son and had a lot to do with the success they could miss him. He had a great sea-of our team."

Second to Cornell

Final statistics show Cavanagh finishing fourth in the Ivy scoring race with ten goals and seventeen assists. Brian Cornell won the title with an Ivy record of 41 points.

Also named to the league's first team were defenseman Curt Bennett of Brown and Bruce Pattison of Cornell, and Cornell goalie Ken Dryden.

Ron Mark's selection for last week's NCAA tournament team also came as no surprise to captain Bob Bauer, forward on Mark's line. "He had a really great series," Bauer said. "He's been doing the same job all year: it's just that he has been overshadowed by the sophomore line."

Coach Weiland thought the NCAA's choice of Mark was "wonderful," commenting that the junior from Kitchener, Ontario, combines both "tremendous team effort and the ability to put the puck in the net." Mark was also given honorable mention by the Ivy League coaches.

Harvard had two representatives on the Ivy League second team, goalie Bruce Durno and defenseman Chris Gurry. Sophomore Durno made 252 saves, 88 per cent of the shots on goal, this season against Ivy teams.

Gurry, selected last week to the ECAC first team, is both a defensive talent and a big offensive threat. He was Harvard's fifth leading scorer in Ivy competition with three goals and eleven assists.

Sophomore Steve Owen, along with Mark, was given honorable mention for being named on the ballots of at least two coaches. Own tied for sixth in the Ivy scoring race with twelve goals and twelve assists.

Dan Lodboa of Cornell joined Gurry on the second team's defense: and the front line consisted of Cornell's John Hughes and Brown's Bob Devaney and Frank Sacheli.

Cornell dominated this year's Ivy selections with six men on the first two teams, but Harvard fans can be encouraged by the fact that all five of the Crimson players honored will be back next year.