Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Coach Says Tennis Team Can Surmount Its Injuries

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

Tennis coach Jack Barnaby said that the Crimson team can do better than predicted, despite an "extraordinary rash of misfortunes all concentrated in the guts of the team."

Injuries and personal reasons have eliminated seven players from the team. "The seven guys we've lost," Barnaby said, would themselves make a "hell of a good tennis team."

Last season Harvard, Princeton, and Penn tied for first place in the Eastern Association. Harvard's overall record was 11-4, losing only to Princeton, 2-7.

Out of 14 lettermen, nine are returning. The Crimson will soon take a Southern trip which Barnaby described as "the most comprehensive of any team in the Northeast." Two complete Crimson teams will play seven matches each.

The line-up Crimson captain John Levin, number two Rocky Jarvis, Terry Oxford, Larry Terrell, Bill Washauer, and Chris Nielson.

Levin, with a very powerful serve, likes to charge at the net. Jarvis stays more in the backcourt and complements Levin nicely to make the number one doubles team.

Oxford, number three, is more steady than Terrell, who fluctuates but who can be spectacular at times.

Washauer and Nielson, both sophomores, play very good all-around games. "Adding them at five and six," Barnaby said, "gives us great depth and means we'll be tough to beat in every position on the team."

Nielson hurt his wrist in a bicycle accident. But he is rallying now and will go South. His forehand is painful, but he is improving rapidly.

Barnaby is also confident in "the flock below": Bill Ball, Rick Barton, Bill Brock, Butch Kawakami, Bruce Price, and Rick Rosenthal.

Since Barnaby became head coach in 1937, the tennis team has captured five Eastern Association titles, including three in the last four years.

Last year Harvard rated an upset contender for third place at best. Barnaby explained that this year the team has "a deep morale" and "an excellent spirit." He added that "We exceed predictions."