Lacrosse Coach Cautious But Hopeful About Season

By Bennett H. Beach

Varsity lacrosse coach Bruce Munro is understandably optimistic, but at the same time uncertain, about the fortunes of his team as he prepares to take the Crimson on the annual spring recess trip into the South.

Munro has a flock of lettermen returning this year, and several talented sophomores are on hand from last year's once-beaten Yardling team. "Our main problem all around is probably depth, especially at attack," Munro said last night.

A real problem in getting the team ready, and the reason for uncertainty about the team's prospects, is Briggs Cage. Due to the slow arrival of spring, the stickmen have been forced to dash around the famous Briggs dust, quite a different environment from the outdoors. "Everyone looks like an All-American in here," said the Crimson coach.

The defense is solid, with all four men returning from last year's squad. Junior Kirby Wilcox will handle the goal with John Cosentino and Terry Kahn as able backups. Honorable mention All-American Mike Ananis and Bob McDowell will be the chase defense, while big Pete Barber will be back again at crease defense.

The midfield is also reason for encouragement, and it is at midfield that Harvard is best balanced, since there are two good lines. Bruce Regan, Jim Kilkowski, and Paul Bloom make up the first unit. Both Regan and Kilkowski earned All-American honorable mention, and Kilkowski was cited for "the greatest hustle on the team" each of the last two years.

Backing up the first line are Bob Johnson, Rick Frisbie, and captain Tom Nicosia. Munro noted that Johnson and Frisbie are both "unknown quantities" at this point, though both have good credentials. Nicosia, one of the top Crimson scorers the last two seasons, is captain for the second year in a row, a rare feat.

The attack, though lacking depth, is potent. Top scorer in the Ivy League last year, junior John Ince, will be joined by sophomores Cle Landolt and Phil Zuckerman, the offensive standouts on last year's high-scoring freshman team. With the addition of these two, Munro considers this spring's first line stronger than its 1968 counterpart.

Beyond the first line, there is only one reserve at this time. Junior Gordy Grand, who was a midfielder previously, now stands alone, but he will have some assistance after the trip when Charlie Ames returns. Neither Mike Finkowski nor Jim Kilbreth is playing this year, and their absence is a major reason for the lack of depth. "Despite this shortage, the attack looks stronger than it did a year ago," Munro said.

As usual, Harvard will face some of the nation's top teams during the trip. In the first three days, the Crimson battles C.W. Post, hard-hitting Rutgers, and perenniel powerhouse Navy. Games with Maryland and Farleigh Dickinson conclude the trip. Unlike Harvard, these teams have all been practicing outside and are apt to be well prepared.

Munro rates Princeton and defending champion Cornell as the teams the Crimson must worry most about. "Yale is the darkhorse I think, and Brown should finish somewhere in the first division," Munro added.